Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Resources for Depression

In entering the mental hospital one gains the realization, that hey, I really need help. This is no DUH, I mean the reality slaps you in the face that you are sick and these people realize that you need to have it right away. They will not turn and walk away from you to let you try to clime out of the pit yourself. When I went in the first time in October, I was so depressed that I slept most of the time. No interest in even trying to get back to normal. I just knew that the medication had to have time to work and I needed rest and time. The second time I was already on a drug, though it did not do the full trick for me, I was better. I also determined to get resources-telephone numbers and into programs that would help me. I located several:

  • liveandworkwell.com This is associated with  my United Behavioral Health program from my employer. But most health insurance programs from employers have a mental health program. I got on the site without any of my insurance information  being used, so an outsider person can go for the information that the site has.
  • www.nimh.nih.gov National Institute of Mental Health
  • www.aacap.org American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
  • www.dbsa.org Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
  • Dailing 211 on your phone. Here in Florida the government has instituted a help line for a host of problems, one of those problems is a suicide prevention line. 
  • National Suicide Prevention LIfeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  • Local mental hospitals usually  have a crisis line that one can call when one is suicidal or on the road to those feeling. Get that number and put it with your other resources to use when one is at the breaking point. Local number for Central Florida is 407-264-7676. This is the number for the Crisis Line at the hospital that I went to.
  • www.nami.org National Alliance on Mental Illness.
  • www.covermymeds.com  helps physicians and pharmacists complete Prior Authorization and other insurance coverage determination forms for any drug and almost all drug plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment