Monday, August 20, 2012

Stevia, Hypoglycemia, Low blood sugar

Browsing through the internet, I came across these statements:
"I would be careful about using stevia for hypoglycemia, depending on the causes. Stevia is traditionally used to treat diabetes because it raises your insulin levels. But, for those who are hypoglycemic because their insulin levels are already too high (like myself) could be sabotaging themselves. Also raised insulin levels affect all your other hormones, raising them across the board, which, if you are a woman, can be very bad, leading to polycystic ovaries."
Clicking on this link will get you to the source 


One staple in natural, sugar free baking pantries is stevia, an herb native to South America and used as an alternative, healthy sweetener. Stevia does not raise blood sugar levels, as it has no carbohydrates (or calories, unless fillers are added, like dextrose or maltodextrin). Stevia does, however, raise insulin levels, which can be good, or bad.
clicking on this link will get to the source

What should my blood sugar levels look like if I’m in control?

The American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommends the following guidelines for blood glucose levels for most patients with type 2 diabetes:
Before meals or upon waking:  2 hours after the start of a meal:
70 - 130 mg/dl
clicking on this link will get to the source
< 180 mg/dL
(less than 180 mg/dl)

This is Janet again. A reader sent me this email link dealing with hypoglycemia:

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever checked out Jenny Rhul's bloodsugar101 site about diabetes. she advocates using a fairly low carb diet to control diabetes. I have what I suppose is considered prediabetes. I think I must have insulin resistance, since I have the symptoms of it. Also, I have had episodes of severe depression. For the last several years I have had dysthymia. I' ve been on a low carb diet to try to keep blood sugar down, because from what I understand damage starts occurring at much lower levels than are said to be diabetic. I know my older son has hypoglycemia. He has depressed moods and OCD issues. The moods do seem very much tied in with the hypoglycemia. I am experimenting to try to find a diet that normalizes these things as much as possible in myself. If I ever figure out something that works well, then I will try to get my son to try it, too.

    ReplyDelete