Saturday, August 11, 2012

OCD : Subclass of Anxiety


OCD is a sub-class of anxiety attacks. Both OCD and anxiety attacks are marked by excess adrenaline production mainly caused by unstable blood sugar levels that can easily be tested by medical tests, such as the test for hypoglycemia as explained here.
The real question is why is the body overproducing adrenaline and at the wrong time and circumstances? The answer lies in the the function of adrenaline. Adrenaline apart from being a fight/flight hormone is also a hormone that converts sugar stores in the body (glycogen) into glucose. (See image) Glucose is the brain’s major source of energy. It requires about 70% of glucose to fuel the biochemical machinery of brain cells. Without that energy brain cells will soon die. Thus whenever the brain senses energy starvation it will trigger the release of adrenaline so as to feed the brain again with energy. For the effects of insulin resistance on the body see here.


My Psychiatrist said that I will have a bout with OCD then go into depression. If I drink  a protein drink  with complex carbs, than I feel much better. In my case I will drink about six tablespoons of protein drink every two hours, keeping my sugar a bit higher and I will kill the depression. I had low blood sugar. Not in all the years that I have had this problem and all the psychiatrists that I had, not one suggested to eat protein  and complex carbs for depression. But if one or ones family has hypoglycemia  then one should put oneself on this regime  to see if it works. Did it yesterday, and I felt great all day. Remember the protein drink can not be high in sugar. That would defeat the purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment